A:Hurry up! Mom, I can't wait any more.
快點媽媽,我等不及了。
B:Look out, honey. Let's come to the shoal waters. Follow me!
當心點,孩子。我們去淺水區(qū)吧,跟我來。
A:OK, Mom. Can I swim now? I want to learn butterfly stroke.
好的,媽媽,我現在能游了嗎?我想學蝶泳。
B:Honey, listen to me. First, you should learn how to breathe in and breathe out.
孩子,聽我說,首先你得學會怎樣吸氣和呼氣。
A:Mom, it's so terrible. Water went down into my throat and I almost got drowned.
媽媽,真糟糕。水到我的喉嚨里來了,我差點被淹死。
B:Do be patient, Honey. Let's do it slowly and correctly.
有耐心點,孩子。讓我們慢慢來,把它做好。
A:Oh, Mom, I think I'm not the right person for swimming.
好的,媽媽,我想我不是游泳的料。
B:Come on, sweetie, you've done very well. It is the first step that is tough.
來吧,孩子。你做得很好了。萬事開頭難嘛。
A:Right, I'll make up my mind. Please correct me if any of my movements go wrong.
也是,我要加把勁。如果我動作做錯了,就糾正我吧。
B:Yes, well done. That's the way to go. How clever you are! You've got it.
對,做得好,就該這樣。你多聰明呀!你做對了。
A:Really? I can't believe it. Everything is possible to a willing heart.
真的嗎?我簡直不敢相信。有志者事竟成。
B:Exactly, next, you should hold your legs together and extend your arms above your head.
對呀,下一步,把你的雙腳合攏,把你的胳膊放到你的頭上。
A:Yes, like a dolphin. Am I on the right track?
嗯,像海豚一樣。我做對了嗎?
B:That's the way to go. Now, you are flying, my boy.
對了。孩子,你進步了。
注釋:
breathe in/out 吸氣/呼氣
show off 炫耀
whipping n. 鞭打
generate vt. 產生
hip n. 髖部
dolphin n. 海豚
gotcha 相當于got you. 為口語縮略表達,意為“知道了,明白了”。
It is the first step that is tough. 萬事開頭難。做任何事情都會在剛開始時困難。